baslinux - Re: [BL] limit on the # of open rxvt terms?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] limit on the # of open rxvt terms?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 13:27:19 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Sindi wrote:

ls /dev/ptyp?
ls /dev/ttyp?

This will probably list numbers 0 through 8 (1 through 9?).
You probably need to make ptyp9 and ttyp9 etc.

You can run a script from Slackware to make ALL the devs or mknod to make one at a time.

ls -l ptyp? will show you whether this is a block or character device.
(b or c listed at the beginning of the line)

mknod ptyp10 b 3 17 - (if ptyp9 were b 3 16)
- hypothetical example only!!!

rxvt uses pairs of these "pseudoterminals". To get rxvt to work as user I had to chmod o+x all of them. If I did just the first one, only one rxvt would work. If I did not exit properly, the one(s) I was using would change permissions on reboot. (I think you found some fix for that recently but I just chmod o+x ?typ? in rc).

Thanks for that information, Sindi. I didn't check yet, but I bet you're right about why I can't open more than 9 rxvt's.

Actually, now that I've thought about this more, I think I would rather install screen than mknod those extra device files. I've been using screen more lately and it seems the more I use it, the more I like it. I think you tried it at some point, too, didn't you? I'm guessing I'll find screen in Slack4, but it would be nice to have a more recent version. I think I'll look at later Slack versions as well. I don't suppose you tried compiling screen for BL? I didn't see it at your site. I may even try my hand at compiling it if I don't find something that seems like it would work.

Thanks,
James