baslinux - Re: [BL] limit on the # of open rxvt terms?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] limit on the # of open rxvt terms?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:50:56 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Is there some limit in BL 3.5 on how many rxvt terms can be open
simultaneously? I ask because I currently have 9 open, but if I try to
open a 10th one, it aborts almost immediately. If I close one of the
running rxvt's, then I can open a new one. What is the source of this
behavior? Is there supposed to be this type of limit in BL 3.5? I've not
seen this behavior before. If it will not be possible to have more than 9
rxvt's open, I'll have to install screen. Further input on this will be
appreciated.

ls /dev/ptyp?
ls /dev/ttyp?

This will probably list numbers 0 through 8 (1 through 9?).
You probably need to make ptyp9 and ttyp9 etc.

You can run a script from Slackware to make ALL the devs or mknod to make one at a time.

ls -l ptyp? will show you whether this is a block or character device.
(b or c listed at the beginning of the line)

mknod ptyp10 b 3 17 - (if ptyp9 were b 3 16)
- hypothetical example only!!!

rxvt uses pairs of these "pseudoterminals". To get rxvt to work as user I had to chmod o+x all of them. If I did just the first one, only one rxvt would work. If I did not exit properly, the one(s) I was using would change permissions on reboot. (I think you found some fix for that recently but I just chmod o+x ?typ? in rc).

I had to make more /dev/hda* devices when I switched to one drive with lots of partitions on it. And a device for my 5.25" floppy drive.
And lucent modem, and svgalib, and USB PDA....
Steven only included the more common devices in BL3.

Sindi

Thanks,
James