baslinux - Re: [BL] limit on the # of open rxvt terms?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] limit on the # of open rxvt terms?
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:28:32 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
James wrote:

> Is there some limit in BL 3.5 on how many rxvt
> terms can be open simultaneously?

I believe each rxvt occupies a ptyp/ttyp. You will
find them in /dev. BL3 has ptyp 0-9 and ttyp 0-9.
If you add /dev/ptypa and /dev/ttypa (using mknod),
you will probably get another rxvt.

> I ask because I currently have 9 open,

Wow, that's alot of xterms. I've never had more
than five open (even on my most powerful system).

> but if I try to open a 10th one, it aborts almost
> immediately.

If you add /dev/ptypa and /dev/ttypa (using mknod),
you will probably be able to open a tenth xterm.

> Is there supposed to be this type of limit in BL 3.5?

Yes.

> I've not seen this behavior before.

BL3 is small and fast because it has been stripped
down to the basics. You get a basic set of fonts,
a basic set of devices, a basic set of modules,
and so on. If you want more fonts, you can add
them. If you want more modules, you can add them.
If you want more ptyp/ttyp, you can add them.

CURRENTLY IN BL3
----------------------------------
2,0 ptyp0 3,0 ttyp0
2,1 ptyp1 3,1 ttyp1