baslinux - Re: [BL] setting up BL3 for compiling source

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] setting up BL3 for compiling source
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:22:28 +0000 (UTC)

binutils.tgz
egcs.tgz
gmake.tgz
libc.tgz
linuxinc.tgz

How much is it after deleting man doc info
zoneinfo gconv locale?
These last three are not found in these SW40 packages (they are in SW71 or 81).

I wouldn't expect it make a huge difference.
About 2MB.

Do you want to post a package with just the
mininum required parts of these five packages

No.
I just looked into this and it is still way over 10MB.

add ldconfig manually to a doinst.sh, or use makepkg

Why? pkg automatically does a ldconfig.
Okay.

There may be unneeded binaries too.

Really?

Do we really need all the binaries from binutils: objdump
and strings-GNU and size? Addr2line, gprof, ranlib?

I'm not an expert on the inner workings of GCC compilers
so I am in no position to specify which binaries are
essential for a fully-functioning compiler.

You could probably figure it out from each Makefile.

Compiling with an old libc5 compiler is complicated
enough without you arbitrarily deleting files that
you think (maybe) might not be needed.

doc man and info seem safe enough

Also the asm- other than generic and i386 were safe to delete when compiling the kernel from source code (which seems to be a larger version of linuxinc). 6MB (for 2.2.6, more for 2.2.26?)

Do we need any binaries from libc other than maybe ldd?

What binaries? The libc package is mostly libraries and
includes.

locale. You are right.

Warning to newbies: it is a big mistake to delete files
from packages when you aren't absolutely sure what you
are doing. Sindi loves deleting files to make things
smaller. IMHO this is a bad idea.

I experiment and sometimes put things back but often save a lot of space.
Which is important on old laptops with small hard drives, or in small
partitions such as loop linux.

I suggested you do the deleting instead of newbies.

Do you have a better idea how to compile for BL3 when I have already installed glibc in my ext2 partition and the five files won't fit in loop linux without deleting something? Can I tell the compiler to use libc5 instead of glibc/libc6 and compile in my regular ext2 BL3 (or BL2)?