baslinux - Re: [BL] status of pdf under BL3; a current summary

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] status of pdf under BL3; a current summary
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:16:55 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Sindi wrote:

Use pdftoppm (which may not handle pdf 1.5) and view with zgz (one page at

Hmmm. Looks like I may have been laboring under a fundamental misconception, then. Your efforts at pdf rendering were not geared toward reading files created under the newer pdf spec after all. Rather, the attempt was to find a leaner, less bloated pdf reader, right?

Xvesa won't work with the latest precompiled xpdf. If you insist on not using svgalib, pdftoppm then xli. Use Abiword fonts links to gs fonts directory.

Maybe I'll test that out. It would require the xpdf files you compiled and have available at your site, correct? If I do test it, it will be on a confirmed v. 1.5 or 1.6 pdf file--just to see if the program can handle that. I'm not absolutely opposed to trying out svgalib/vgalib, btw. Just seems like the more complex solution at the moment since I'm not sure yet whether I'll be needing to use the 2.4.x kernel (possibility to get USB functionality).

Since the precompiled version already works with BL2 and upgraded glibc, a libc5 version would make more sense for BL3 (smaller than uclibc).
I am not set up to compile for BL3 libc, only uclibc (which often produces unusable results, such as for nano static).

Just out of curiosity, what would it take to set up BL3 for compiling? Steven? If I were to want to try my hand at this, would it be better to just do a fullish Slack4 installation for my libc5 compiling environment rather than trying to adapt BL3 to this purpose? I would probably use qemu were I to set up such an environment. Feedback on this question will be appreciated.

Thanks,
James