baslinux - Re: [BL] setting up BL3 for compiling source

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] setting up BL3 for compiling source
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 09:14:11 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> How much is it after deleting man doc info
> zoneinfo gconv locale?

I wouldn't expect it make a huge difference.

> Do you want to post a package with just the
> mininum required parts of these five packages

No.

> add ldconfig manually to a doinst.sh, or use makepkg

Why? pkg automatically does a ldconfig.

> There may be unneeded binaries too.

Really?

> Do we really need all the binaries from binutils: objdump
> and strings-GNU and size? Addr2line, gprof, ranlib?

I'm not an expert on the inner workings of GCC compilers
so I am in no position to specify which binaries are
essential for a fully-functioning compiler.

Compiling with an old libc5 compiler is complicated
enough without you arbitrarily deleting files that
you think (maybe) might not be needed.

> Do we need any binaries from libc other than maybe ldd?

What binaries? The libc package is mostly libraries and
includes.

Warning to newbies: it is a big mistake to delete files
from packages when you aren't absolutely sure what you
are doing. Sindi loves deleting files to make things
smaller. IMHO this is a bad idea.