baslinux - Re: [BL] setting up BL3 for compiling source

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] setting up BL3 for compiling source
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:15:13 +0000 (UTC)

Message from Steven
===================
You install (pkg) the following packages
from Slackware 4.0 (d1 directory):
------------
binutils.tgz
egcs.tgz
gmake.tgz
libc.tgz
linuxinc.tgz
------------

you get the size of those 5 packages installed
(ca. 30 MB?).

That's too much. Should be half that (10-15mb).
Are you sure you got the packages from Slackware 4 ?

I just downloaded all of the same packages and it comes to 33MB
unpackaged but not installed. Slackware 4.0. The files from Slackware 3.2 were probably a lot smaller (10MB?).

binutils 1.6MB
egcs 2.9MB
gmake 180K
libc 1.2MB
linuxinc 1.6MB - For kernel 2.2.6. About 15MB in /usr/src/
(This looks a lot like the regular kernel source code.)

/usr/src/linux-2.2.6/include could be shrunk 3.5-4MB by deleting all asm- directories other than asm-i386 and asm-generic.

config is 6MB of files, most of which we are unlikely to use (isdn, nls, scsi, ide-tape, raid5,...) but I tried deleting a lot from kernel source code and then the kernel would not compile. Complained about what I had deleted being missing.

Could the contents of /usr/src/linux-2.2.26 be put on an ext2 partition and symlinked to the correct location in the loop BL3 to save space?
Install this package first, and move it, then do the others.

Where do we find 2.2.26 linuxinc (which is probably bigger yet)?

Do we need includes for bsd and m68k? ix86-linuxaout ix86-coff?
They are not terribly large.

man doc info are about 2.5MB. lib*.a about 2MB (for static compiling)

Install 18MB of four packages to loop and delete about 4.5MB of this (13.5MB - I think this will fit in the 20MB loop).

Install the 15MB of linuxinc (more for 2.2.26?) to ext2 and delete 6MB of non-i386 to get 9MB. Put source code on ext2.

Or enlarge the loop file first to 30MB.

I got no gconv or zoneinfo or locale (except in bin).

There are some /lib/*newlib files that presumably get renamed and then put in /lib.