baslinux - Re: [BL] compile a new naim statically against uclibc anyone?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] compile a new naim statically against uclibc anyone?
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 13:04:04 -0500 (CDT)

Ummm, sorry, but this may actually be unecessary. Here's why. I decided
that, since I had already upgraded libraries (so as to install Opera) and
had already installed ncurses from Slack4 (presuming I'd need it for
naim), I might as well try just installing a regular updated naim tgz, if
I could find one.

Well, I went about this pretty sloppily. First, I didn't try uninstalling
the older naim compiled statically against uclibc and that is located at
my BL3 downloads site--I just left it as is. Then, I tried installing the
yet older naim I compiled some years ago for BL2 (0.11.5-something).
Installing the older naim didn't help me get online. Finally, I tracked
down a tgz of the latest naim from Slack12 (found at
http://mirror.ttn.net/Mirror/linuxpackages/Slackware-12.0/Console/naim/ ).
Without trying any uninstallation or deletion of existing naim files, I
simply pkg'ed that tgz.

Well, guess what? I am now able to go online with BL3 using naim.

Because of the sloppy way I went about this I cannot say for certain why
it finally worked for me. For now, I'm going to assume that, with the
addition of ncurses from Slack4 and the library upgrade needed to install
and run Opera, installation of the latest version of naim found using the
tgz found at the link above will succeed. By following those steps, one
should be able to get naim installed and running under BL3.

If I am able to do further testing with a "virgin" BL3 install to confirm
whether those steps are the correct ones for getting a working version of
naim on BL3, I'll report back to the list.

James