baslinux - [BL] compile a new naim statically against uclibc anyone?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] compile a new naim statically against uclibc anyone?
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:58:17 -0500 (CDT)

naim is a console-mode chat (sometimes called instant messaging) client that handles the AIM, ICQ, and a couple of other protocols. It is an ideal client for older machines with limited resources and thus is the logical choice for those wanting a chat client on a BL system. There is no libc5 naim client available and I have been unable in past attempts to compile naim on a libc5 system.

In an attempt to redress this situation, I asked David Moberg 2 or 3 years ago if he could try compiling naim statically against uclibc. David generously agreed to compile it, thus giving us the naim version currently available for download at my BL site. The version David compiled was 0.11.7.3 and it is now somewhat dated--which may be why it seems currently not to work (according to my recent tests with it). It could be that AOL has introduced some changes in the way their servers work that the older client versions cannot handle.

In order to resolve this lack of a chat client for BL, I'm wondering if someone onlist would be willing to compile the latest version of naim, i.e., 0.11.8.3.1, statically against uclibc?. If you are willing to do so you may either simply compile the program and send me the resulting binary/tgz, or else contact me letting me know you are willing and posing any questions you may have about it (e.g., where to download naim, what dependencies it might have, etc).

I would be happy to test the final product.

Thanks,
James

PS I am willing to compile to program if no one else is interested, but I have very little experience with compiling and none whatsoever using uclibc. If you do not want to do the compiling but are willing to provide pointers on the task, please contact me about this as well.