baslinux - [BL] state of USB functionality under BL3

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] state of USB functionality under BL3
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 19:58:24 -0500 (CDT)

Once again in connection with the older laptop I'm preparing top set up, I'm looking for a sort of summary statement of USB functionality under BL3. The laptop I'll set up has a single USB port, and the only use I foresee for it is connecting a mass storage device from time to time. I'm actually not even sure I'll need to do that once I get the thing networked. But it would be good to know what to expect from BL3 in this regard. At the same time, this thread could provide information helpful to prospective BL3 adopters.

What I'll do here is make a statement of how I see the state of USB functionality under BL3, then ask for further input or corrections to my statement. My observations on this matter will have been gleaned from reading list traffic rather than from hands-on experience since, so far as I recall, I never tried to use any USB devices under BL3.

So far as I understand, USB functionality is only partly implemented in BL3. If I recall correctly, Steven has compiled necessary modules for some USB devices to go along with the custom 2.2.26 kernel he compiled for BL3: is that correct, Steven? If one has such a device, one must download and insmod the correct modules to get it working under BL3.

I say that USB functionality is implemented only partly in BL3 because I recall seeing some list traffic a year or two ago that indicated that someone was unable to get some USB device to work--despite having loaded the correct module(s). I believe the discussion I'm remembering referred to a USB mass storage device. Does the above seem like an adequate statement about USB functionality under BL3? Would it perhaps be better to say that USB support is uneven under BL3?

As an addendum to this, I also recall that Sindi has done some kernel compiling that enables fuller USB support under BL3. If I've understood correctly, Sindi's 2.4.31 kernel, when used to boot BL3--along with the right modules, which she also compiled--increases or makes more even USB functionality under BL3. Have I got that correct, Sindi? Is there anything to add regarding USB support under BL3 using the kernel(s)/module(s) you've compiled?

Contibutions to this topic will be appreciated and could be of help to future BL3 adopters, methinks.

Thanks,
James