baslinux - Re: [BL] classical radio playlist

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] classical radio playlist
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 03:23:38 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

http://delicast.com/radio/ lists stations by
category or country and then by bandwidth.

The best I have found is: http://www.vtuner.com

216 classical stations. They want you to use their software and pay $30 but the links work without it.
They list speeds. A 48K Russian station is working but cuts out a lot.

2MBS (64K) 3MB S(20K) 4MBS 32K all wma

Brisbane Australia 4MBS Classic FM is listed as 32K.
I use it with mplayer -playlist takes me to
mms://streaming.quicknet.com.au/4MBS but then it
is unable to open the URL.
Also a 2MBS and 3MBS.

3MBS works fine here (20kbps).
mms://3mbs.serveftp.net:8080

Connection timeout here. Suggested I use playlist. When I did that:

Error while opening playlist file .....: Operation now in progress

Bayern 4 works.

South Africa Classic FMworks (20K/32KHz).

Two Argentinian stations. One cache fill 0.00. THe other with a background buzz. 20K.

One Belarusan which is broadcasting only background noise.

Denmark (works). Greece (two, neither works).

Big variation in volume. / decrease * increase

France - no sound (10K). Two 31K stations. The first MP3 folk and classical. The second is sending high pitched squeals (winmedia, Vivace) - wrong speed?

Page 7 of the classical list (at 10 stations per page) is US stations mostly dial-up. K... Utah, Idaho,

The Finnish 16K station is actually 128K.

One Serbian 24K folk station playing the equivalent of country music and advertising a 'cafe'. One Bosnian folk station similar. Accordion. I heard this stuff on the radio in Yugoslavia.

The Albanian religious station is in Italy. Radio Maria.

Czech Radio 3 'jazz' is currently playing some authentic Middle Eastern folk. Don't believe the labels. Radio 3 tends to be classical.

Phayul World India Tibetan station is playing rock.

Radio Sai Global Harmony AfriStream World India is playing western classical!

AmeriStream is playing Indian genuine folk.

AsiaStream is supposed to be Hindi but is Indian English talking about mosquitoes followed by British English.

There is an Albanian station from Macedonia listed as language English playing genuine Albanian folk music (with odd harmonies and rhythms but probably modern folk as played in cafes) but the genre is listed in the webcase as 'ROCK POP FOUNCRY DANCE'. Tetovo was the site of an uprising when the local Albanian-language university was shut down by the Slavs.

A "Macedonian" station with language Greek does not work. It is listed under Macedonia (the country) but it is probably in Greek Macedonia (the province).

Radio Jam Ivory Coast 20K 'world French language' is playing local folk or American pop dance music.

I found a new Michigan classical station almost within broadcast distance (Farmington Hills MI Classical Music America). But it stops after 1.1%. wm.3wk.com.

Many of the links take you to a page with a URL which usually does not work with mplayer.

Don't limit yourselves to the categories listed - they are often wrong or incomplete.

Thanks a lot!