baslinux - Re: [BL] Change keyboard layout in non-X console

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Change keyboard layout in non-X console
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:29:48 +0100 (CET)

Thank you, Sindi, for helping once again ! Meanwhile I also tried to
'help myself' and -mostly- succeeded (makes one proud!)

--- in baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org, Sindi wrote :

> You can also use 'pkg' to install a Slackware package, which runs
> any
> install script (to link libraries). Or installpkg for Bl2.

I understood that, but didn't want to install the whole package, in
accordance with the KISS philosophy - if I may say.

>> I will take instructions for installing the parts I need /only/
>> (loadkeys executable/ tables?/what else...) !

/ snippage... /

> /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/ should have your keymap
> pl.map.gz looks like a Polish keymap, for instance.

I found the following to be right thing for the usual Frencn
keyboard:

-> loadkeys /...path.../kbd/keytable/fr-latin.map

> You can put loadkeys in rc to load at boot time.

Right, will do. What are the usual directories you'd put loadkeys
(resp. *.map) in ?

> You probably need from kbd.tgz only loadkeys (/usr/bin) and your
> keymap
> file (in the above directory). Loadkeys has no special
> dependencies.

And this fact made my experimenting easier. Thanks again !

PS and off-topic : caught a glimpse of your personal page and resumé
a few weeks ago, was /so/ impressed by the breadth of your linguistic
talents; that, and your expertise in computers... it's (almost) too
much !

Regards

--
Czerno