baslinux - [BL] RE : Re: can't mount a partition

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] RE : Re: can't mount a partition
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 16:30:44 +0200 (CEST)

James wrote:

>> The naive question comes to mind, why doesn't Linux itself create
>> "nodes" as required ?

> So far as I can see, this was a long-running dilemma for Linux. The
> original solution was to have the system autocreate every
> imaginable
> device file (all those entries under /dev are known as device
> files) on
> system start-up. ......

(some lines snipped for brevity)

> This meant that the computer ended up with a /dev
> directory full of entries, 99% of which would never be used. You
> can
> likely appreciate the heightened need for a solution that works
> more
> effectively and dynamically with the proliferation of hot-pluggable
> drives
> and storage media (e.g., flash drives, digital cameras and music
> players,
> etc.).

Oh, yes, but still hard disk partitions and other non "plug and play"
devices should be inserted at boot imho - as soon as they are
detected. Where did the cryptic numbers in the "mknod" command as
given by Sindi come from ?

> As you will be aware, I am only giving background
> information here rather than providing any solution. Sorry :)

That was very instructive, thank you!

>> I have : "mount /dev/sbpcd0 /cdr" in my /etc/rc script;
>> ... it possible though to make the "mount" line conditional so
that
>> it is not attempted or at least not retried if no CD is in the
>> device ?

> Under BL I think your best solution is going to be to transfer that
> line
> from from /etc/rc to /etc/fstab and to add a little more info to
> it. I
> would say it should look something like

> /dev/sbpcd0 /cdr iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
>
> That would keep the drive from being mounted by the system at
> boot-up,
> regardless of whether there is a CD in it or not. You would mount
> the CD
> drive by issuing the command mount /cdr. You could alias that
> command if
> you didn't want to have to type so much to mount it. Hope that
> helps.

Neat !

--
Czerno