baslinux - [BL] RE : Re: can't mount a partition

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] RE : Re: can't mount a partition
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 11:08:31 +0200 (CEST)

Hi, List !

... (Czerno asked :)

Sindi a ecrit :

> cd /dev
> mknod hdb5 b 3 69

Superb! You've been so constantly helpful I am but abashed.

> I asked Steven to include hda-hdd 5 and 6 (if not also 7 and 8).

The naive question comes to mind, why doesn't Linux itself create
"nodes" as required ? I checked "dmesg", and sure the system detects
<hdb5> at boot time. Shouldn't it "mknod" accordingly by itself ?

>> Same with type msdos instead of vfat.
>> Same when varying the number (hdb6 ?) etc...
>
> You will see that here is not /dev/hdb5 or /dev/hdb6 in BL3.

Yes saw that. There are lots of to me useless /dev/hdax ...

>> /DOS is mounted at init time as type MSDOS. May I "umount" it and
>> re-mount as VFAT without risks ?

Self-answer : umount fails, tells /DOS is in use. I guess this one is
for
Steven...

>> Finally, are all mounts automatically undone at halt/reboot,

That also...

And to add a new one :
I have : "mount /dev/sbpcd0 /cdr" in my /etc/rc script; if the CDROM
tray
is empty at boot time (as it usually will be) then the system retries
3 or
4 times before abandoning the mount operation. It's a small
annoyance, is
it possible though to make the "mount" line conditional so that it is
not
attempted or at least not retried if no CD is in the device ?

Cheers...

--
Czerno