baslinux - Re: [BL] can't mount a partition

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] can't mount a partition
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 22:43:16 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Hi, List ! Czerno with questions again, being unable to access one
disk partition in BL3 :

My second hard disk (hdb) has two data partitions, one primary which
under DOS/Win is seen as "D:", and one logical "E:" inside an
extended. Both data part's are type 06, aka "BIG DOS" FAT16, 400 odd
megabytes each. Quite standard a scheme I assume.

The problem is I can't seem to have BL3 "see" the second DOS
(logical) partition at all.

I created the mount points /WinD and /WinE;
The primary (DOS D:) I can mount thusly :

# mount -t vfat /dev/hdb1 /WinD

I assumed the logical (E:) part would be /hdb5, but

# mount -t vfat /dev/hdb5 /WinE

yields : Mounting failed : No such file or directory.

cd /dev
mknod hdb5 b 3 69

I had the same problem when using large drives with logical partitions.

I asked Steven to include hda-hdd 5 and 6 (if not also 7 and 8).

Same with type msdos instead of vfat.
Same when varying the number (hdb6 ?) etc...

You will see that here is not /dev/hdb5 or /dev/hdb6 in BL3.

Another question related to mounted partitions :

/DOS is mounted at init time as type MSDOS. May I "umount" it and
re-mount as VFAT without risks ?

Finally, are all mounts automatically undone at halt/reboot,
including those I make on the fly ? Or only mounts from fstab ?

Czerno

BL3
less inittab

::shutdown:/sbin/umount -a -r 2>/dev/null

Does this umount all partitionss at shutdown?

BL2
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t5 -rf now

What does this do?

I exit by typing
umount -a
shutdown -h now

Sometimes I am not allowed to umount -a. ???