baslinux - Re: [BL] text processors

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] text processors
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 21:23:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 04:21:33AM +0000, keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org wrote:
There is a tetex howto. In theory you can convert plain text to dvi with
tex, and defaults are 10 cpi, Roman, L and R justified. Emacs has a TeX
mode. Tex and latex both produce .tex. Latex appears to be tex with
added features such as underlines.

LaTeX has a different syntax, and is different from TeX in the way that
its syntax is higher level - you supply LaTeX with the logical structure
of the document.

I don't need a logical structure of my document, just a way to format for bold, underline, center, subscript, superscript, line and page break.
tex ought to be adequate.

Nano does search and replace but it is interactive, meaning you have to
tell it every time to replace.

Vi's s&r doesn't require interactivity (if you request it for
confirmations for every replace, it can be interactive), and it can map
S&Rs to keys.

Can sed search and replace \c and \vo with \centerline and \voffset?

Yes (I will use \center, since that's the notation for LaTeX):

---
sed -e 's/\\c/\\center/' file
---

But in vi (use a more capable version, like elvis from SW) it's a simple
matter of an abbreviation:

---
:ab \c \center
---

which, when you enter \c, automatically replaces it with \center. You
can abbreviate it wi

Could one write a script with sed to do several such replacements in one
sweep?

Yes.

Or program Ctrl-F1 etc. to produce these strings?

To call a script via Control-F1, giving current file as a first
parameter:

---
:cmap <C-F1> :!script %
---

Sounds even better than WP/DOS.

I would probably type the document first and then add the formatting. tex
is supposed to adjust line lengths to fit the text length (not including
formatting commands) when converting to dvi, which you can view with xdvi.

Or dvisvga (tmview), if you intend to use it in your usual svgalib-based
work environment.

I would prefer some program to just view the .tex without converting to .dvi (with 'tex') or .pdf (with 'pdftex')? I see the tmview manual comes in either .tex or .dvi, so there must be a way to view .tex.

'proof' is a shell based program to process and view TeX, LaTeX etc.

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/proof.html and proof.zip (scripts proof and edit, proofrc, proof.1, README). I tried to ./install as instructed in README and got a syntax error near unexpected token `cmds=(''. I copied the included proofrc to .proofrc in my home directory manually. It comes with an internal editor 'edit' (search and replace, copy and paste, etc.). proof wants X and virtex (part of tetex.tgz). It says it needs an intact tex/latex environment and bash.

Karolis, please check out BL3 (add bash) with 'proof' and let me know what files from tetex.tgz are really needed (not all 65MB). It invokes other programs such as dvips and virtex, needs .fmt files for them, and can generate dvi or pdf or ps files. It uses sed, grep, and I think viewers for dvi ps and pdf. Needs xterm.

Sindi

Karolis