baslinux - Re: [BL] text processors

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] text processors
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 04:21:33 +0000 (UTC)

There is a tetex howto. In theory you can convert plain text to dvi with tex, and defaults are 10 cpi, Roman, L and R justified. Emacs has a TeX mode. Tex and latex both produce .tex. Latex appears to be tex with added features such as underlines.

It is a nuisance to type things like \centerline and \voffset (centered text, and changing top margin).

Nano does search and replace but it is interactive, meaning you have to tell it every time to replace.

Can sed search and replace \c and \vo with \centerline and \voffset?
Could one write a script with sed to do several such replacements in one sweep? Or program Ctrl-F1 etc. to produce these strings?

I would probably type the document first and then add the formatting. tex is supposed to adjust line lengths to fit the text length (not including formatting commands) when converting to dvi, which you can view with xdvi.

tex is about 230K and requires tex.fmt (another 200K or so). The tetex bin package includes also pdftex (make tex into pdf) 500K, pslatex 500 bytes, dvilj and dvilj2p (80K), dvilj4 (85K), dvips (165K), dvihp
(deskjet?), dvi2fax (tiff?), xdvi (500K) and many others.

The howto says a minimal install is only 10-15MB (in 1998). Probably much less for just producing a dvi file to convert to rtf.

There is a DOS latex2rtf (1.4MB package), also win and mac. The linux binary (300K - 2005 beta) needs GTK+ 2.6 and autopackage which 'will be automatically downloaded and installed before the LaTeX2RTF installation begins".

I tried to install it and was told I had an Error in MD5 sums.

To use the new menu item I need to restart the desktop. ????