baslinux - Re: [BL] text processors

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] text processors
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 01:35:26 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Hi Folks,

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:50:41 +0000 (UTC)
baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I am still looking for a non-gui (non-mouse-based, fast, small) way to
produce a document format that MS WORD will import, which is Wordperfect
5.1 (or later), html (style sheets needed to do page breaks), rtf, or pdf.

MS WORD will also import plain text. And there are plenty of text to rtf/html converters.

I need to supply formatted text. Bold, underline, center, page break. rtf is a nuisance to type. tex looks much simpler to learn. I can type html but not the page breaks. I can toggle html/WYSIWYG using lynx and pico and 'e' to edit.

For Linux, I use Nedit (requires X).

For DOS I use Pedit (CLI or Windows).

e3pi or nano work in linux with or without X. Maybe X would be helpful so I could view formatting and WYSIWYG on one screen.

Both operate with or without a mouse.

But do they produce formatted text that can be converted to rtf?
That is the advantage of tex or groff.

So far I need the files 'tex' and 'tex.fmt' from tetex.tgz to produce a dvi file that I can view with xdvi or convert with latex2rtf, and also instructions on how to format a document in .tex. Not the rest of 65M of two packages, half of that fonts.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke