baslinux - [BL] installing floppy distro to hd

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] installing floppy distro to hd
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 20:36:32 +0200

i and a friend of me have some old computer, and we want to remove dos and put basic linux on it, or even make a dual boot if that is possible.
we both downloaded the floppy version, and ran it.
it is basic(like the name says), and we'll need to learn some linux commands, but for 2X1.44MB it is great.

next step: install all this stuff.
but the only documentation about this is this piece:
Installing BasicLinux to harddisk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From inside BL3, use fdisk and mke2fs to create a Linux partition on your

harddisk.  Mount that partition at /hd and execute install-to-hd

but we don't know that much about linux, so we need some more explanation.
i know something about linux, so i think we have to do this:
we opened xtrem and typed in fdisk, but we got a few options we don't understand.
i think we have to use fdisk to format the hd, and then use mke2fs to create a 2fs partition on it.
but since we can't even format it with fdisk....
and about the mounting part....
i thought in linux drives where in mnt, and are called hda1, hdb1 and so on....
but there is nothing in mnt like that.
or do we have to somehow manually mount the hd before it shows up in mnt?
and how do we execute install-to-hd, and where is it located.

pleas help

pepijn