baslinux - Re: [BL] text processors

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] text processors
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 20:50:18 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

http://www.nedit.org/ftp/v5_1_1/executables/nedit-5.1.1-linux-glibc.tar.gz

I downloaded it for BL2. Have you tried the glibc version with BL2?

Yes, it's on my screen right now.

I don't know why I get a locale C error message.
I downloaded the BL3 version and will reboot to BL3 to try it.

Various ways to use a text editor to produce something formatted that WORD will import:

I could write tex and convert to pdf with pdftex, and preview the pdf with svp (svgalib) or xpdf (slower).

Or convert text to dvi (preview with xdvi) to rtf but I could not compile latex2rtf.

It would be simpler to write rtf directly instead of tex > dvi > rtf.
Convert to HTML with unrtf to preview or use Ted or Abiword or another rtf editor.

I found nedit for libc5 in an ibiblio directory of X editors along with richtext editor 1.6, a small X-based RTF editor (as distinct from Richtext 2.3 which is an HTML editor).

To compile rt I need xmkmf (xbin.tgz) to build the Makefile and an Objective-C precompiler to compile the classes of the program:
http://users.pandora.be/stes/
Portable Object Compiler requires flex, BSD byacc, and a few other things but maybe you only need the precompiler.
This is beyond me - Steven, do you want to check it out?

Other than needing all the above, it is much smaller than Abiword. 600K of source code plus the RTF specifications (300K). Probably does not print or create postscript files. You can import into Abiword for that or maybe use Abiword CLI (it is based on wvware).

I am probably trying to reinvent the wheel.

Steven, please check the Slackware Mirrors at the BL site - two did not work for me today.