baslinux - Re: [BL] text processors

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] text processors
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 04:39:48 +0000 (UTC)

There is a DOS latex2rtf (1.4MB package), also win and mac.
The linux binary (300K - 2005 beta) needs GTK+ 2.6 and autopackage which
'will be automatically downloaded and installed before the LaTeX2RTF
installation begins".

I tried to install it and was told I had an Error in MD5 sums.

To use the new menu item I need to restart the desktop. ????
This appears to be a GUI.

New approach:

pdfTeX (ver 1.40.3) is an extended version of TeX that converts .tex to either .dvi or .pdf (both printable to a laserjet). WORD imports pdf.

The home page contains only the latest version source code, about 3.9MB.

SW71 tetex.tgz has an older precompiled pdftex binary and associated files.

pdftex.map 300K (fonts), pdftex.cfg 300 bytes, pdftex.def 10K (graphics), etc., and a 500K binary. I will try to make a minimal package for converting text with tex formatting to pdf/dvi. Maybe also pslatex.

tex told me when it was missing a file (tex.fmt?). Is there an easier way (besides installing the entire tetex package) to determine what files are needed to run pdftex?