baslinux - [BL] text processors

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] text processors
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:50:41 +0000 (UTC)

James says DOSEMU 1.4 is out but I have given up on DOS emulators for use with Wordperfect 5.1. The Service Pack editions (most expensive boxed versions) of Wordperfect for Linux 6, 7 and 8 supposedly contain Wordperfect 5.1 for linux.

I am still looking for a non-gui (non-mouse-based, fast, small) way to produce a document format that MS WORD will import, which is Wordperfect 5.1 (or later), html (style sheets needed to do page breaks), rtf, or pdf.

O'Reilly (4th edition is online) chapter on text and document processing mentions tex, which is a set of formatting commands you add to plain text with any text editor. The SW package tetex.tgz contains latex, which converts the source code to dvi (which you can view WYSIWYG with xdvi in X, or print with dvilj, or convert to ps with dvips and then print with gs). There is a non-SW LyX (GUI) which is a front end to latex (hides the commands). It displays somewhat WYSIWYG.

There is a latex2rtf, which apparently requires first converting the .tex to .dvi with latex, then converting the .dvi files to .rtf files.

Also (included in tetex.tgz?) dvipdf to produce pdf starting with a text editor and no need for ps. And a pdftex to make pdf files.

Since I don't need to print formatted text, just convert to rtf or pdf, I would rather avoid the very large tetex package. Perhaps only one or a few files are needed to use latex to produce .dvi.

See Converters from LaTeX to PC Textprocessors at http://tug.org/utiltiies/texconv/textopc.html

Tex2Word (for Windows) $99.
Free TeX4ht (for linux) converts to html+stylesheet but looks complicated.
latex2rtf - needs latex first.

groff (used for man pages), texinfo (for info pages) and SGML are also suggested as formats which can be converted into other formats such as rtf and pdf and html.

tex bold: {\bd text}

groff bold: \fB text\fP (B - bold, P - plain)
There is a troffcvt to convert troff (same as groff?) to html, rtf, or plain text.

How much of tetex.tgz is needed just to convert tex to dvi with latex?

How difficult would it be to write a script to convert from tex to rtf:

bold
underline
center
line break
page break

Has any list member used LyX? Does it work well without a mouse?