baslinux - [BL] BasicLinux 3.50

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] BasicLinux 3.50
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 10:02:47 +1300

I am currently debugging version 3.50 of BasicLinux.
It should be available for download in about a week.
The main changes are:

Upgraded busybox from 1.01 to 1.22.
Major improvements to links.
Major improvements to the window manager.

There's also been some minor editing and updating.
libXpm and libext2 are no longer required, so they
have been dropped. Overall the size of BasicLinux
will shrink by more than 100kb.

We'll be using the same kernel, same modules, same
add-ons. Upgrading for non-X users will be easy --
simply replace busybox and links. They'll also need
to add /dev/random (which the new links uses -- it
took me days to figure that one out).

Upgrading will be more work for the X users (a complete
reinstallation will probably be easier). The changes
to X are very significant. We will have a far superior
windowing environment (for those of you who care about
such things).

If anybody would like to help with the debugging,
they are very welcome. I can upload the 3.5 fs.img
today.