baslinux - [BL] magicpoint questions: screen resolution

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: BL listserv <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] magicpoint questions: screen resolution
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 10:17:12 -0400

I am planning on working some multimedia material into my lectures in the
future and would like to use magicpoint for
this. I have an older laptop I hope to devote to this task (I have a newer
laptop as well, but would like to use it for
other purposes), and have some questions about magicpoint and these sorts of
presentations. I want to start with a
question about appropriate screen resolution.

I'm not sure I really see the sense in the bulleted-list-type powerpoint
presentations. The presentations I have in
mind would be mostly geographical, i.e., their substance would be various
maps. I've downloaded some maps from the 'net
and scanned in some others. I fiddled a bit with setting up a test magicpoint
presentation. I'm getting the hang of the
program. But one initial concern I have is screen resolution.

If one is simply projecting some sort of outline (made up of words) onto the
screen, or if one has a graph, pie chart,
or other simple graphic, it seems like screen resolution is not terribly
important. A higher resolution might make
things look better, but it's not going to make or break the presentation if
resolution is on the low side. Is this
correct? For projecting maps, however, which can contain some fine detail,
I'm guessing having a finer screen
resolution would be more crucial.

So, some questions. Am I correct in presuming that higher screen resolution
could be important to the sort of
presentations I'm considering? If so, what screen resolution should I be
aiming for? I'm guessing 1024x768 would be a
minimum--which may rule out the old laptop I'm considering using for this.
I've run across one site that says it will
do 1024x768 at 8 bit, but others indicate it only operates at 800x600
(1024x768 when hooked to an external monitor).
Xvesa -listmodes indicates the highest resolution is 800x600, but perhaps a
higher resolution would be achievable by
using no-xvesa. It's a trident video board, btw, with 1MB of memory. Input
will be appreciated.

Thanks,
James

  • [BL] magicpoint questions: screen resolution, baslinux, 03/11/2007