baslinux - Re: [BL] Going online as user, summary, was Re: ssh as 'user'

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Going online as user, summary, was Re: ssh as 'user'
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 02:40:09 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, sindi keesan wrote:

Ateven wrote:
A while back I tried compiling the dropbear
client for BL3. It was about half the size
of our current client but it didn't work with
some of the sites I tried.

Worked at grex.org (OpenBSD) and a univ site with SunOS and
a Slackware 10.2 computer (which does not ask about security like the
others do at first time of connection, yes/no).

Dropbear make install puts dbclient into /usr/local/bin and does not install scp at all. scp looks for /usr/bin/dbclient. I made a symlink and packaged them both that way for use with BL2 or BL3 with upgraded glibc2.2.5 (SW8.1), which is also needed for Opera 8.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/dropbear-0.49-glibc225.tgz.

dbclient can replace ssh
scp can be used to transfer files both directions securely instead of wget and ftpput (or an ftp program).

117K and 21K stripped, default configuration, dynamic against glibc.

I tested them both with BL2.

scp works but gives four 'WARNING. Ignoring unknown argument .....'

You probably need sshd and ftpd at the other end.

I also left pscp and psftp (putty console programs) which are over 300K each. psftp and pscp let you specify user and password on the CLI.
scp lets you specify user but maybe not password. The source code came without documentation - look online for details.