baslinux - [BL] Silently Modified Libs and Apps in Slackware (was: About color version of Yabasic)

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Silently Modified Libs and Apps in Slackware (was: About color version of Yabasic)
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 17:36:56 +0000

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 01:31:24PM +1300, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> Hermang Mansilla wrote:
> >
> > I solved the problem by removing the library
> > libX11.so.6 that comes with BasLinux and replacing
> > it with the one included in Slackware 4.0. Once
> > you replace that Library, the color version of
> > Yabasic runs fine with any X server.
>
> That's an interesting discovery. It appears that
> there have been significant additions to libX11
> over time. It's a pity they did not change the
> version number to reflect this.
>
> Slackware 3.5: libX11.so.6.1 = 703194
> Slackware 4.0: libX11.so.6.1 = 761485
> Slackware 7.1: libX11.so.6.1 = 767357

It was probably Patrick Volkerding, et al, (Slackware Linux
Inc.), rather than the Xfree86/Xorg projects.

Slip in a few libs that make desired apps function correctly .
Then a few more.. .

Not just a pity that whatever party is responsible failed to
note the fact in the version name, but downright negligence. Not
acceptable practice.

I've seen similar things in other slackware packages. They offer
mail (BSD mailx 8.1.1) and fail to note that they have patched
it, for example. (SW4.0, see the sources dir.)

> IIRC the libX11.so.6.1 in BL3 came from BL1
> (i.e. from Slackware 3.5).

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful