baslinux - Re: [BL] Going online as user, summary, was Re: ssh as 'user'

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Going online as user, summary, was Re: ssh as 'user'
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 02:23:39 +0000 (UTC)

See previous in thread for an almost-complete list of things to be changed to run BL2 online as 'user'.

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, sindi keesan wrote:

Do you have rxvt working for user in BL2?
It still complains about can't open pseudo-tty.

tldp's HOWTO explains pseudo-terminal is a set of pty/tty.

chmod 666 /dev/ptyp*
chmod 666 /dev/ttyp*

Makes these devices readable/writeable by everyone.

BL3 had it right already. BL2 now works for user with rxvt and 'screen'.

splitvt:
Can't initialize screen: Terminal type must be set to vt100.

write permissions on 'vt100' for user did not help.
It works for root.

Karolis (via TAG) suggested setting TERM to vt100.

TERM=vt100 splitvt
On exit, I am back to TERM=linux, which makes other things work right.

To make ssh work, you need to make sure owner and group for the files in /home/user/.ssh are owned by user and users, and then to
chmod o+rw (or chmod 666) tty (possibly also tty0)
These should be owned by root tty.

rxvt needed ttyp* and ptyp* to be o+rw (or maybe just the first few of these, depending how many rxvts you want to use).

I also changed permissions on the tty devices I had made (LT0 and USB*).

I made all the tty* rw for other.

To use sound you would might need to add rw permissions to owner for the various sound devices.

Is there any need for devices to be executable, or just rw?

Files in /usr/sbin and /sbin are not accessible to 'user' and can be symlinked to some directory on the path for 'user'. /usr/sbin/pppd is accessed by eznet, which should be suid to use pppd.

The TAG people were very helpful. Maybe our mail exchange will end up in their archive.