baslinux - Re: [BL] Going online as user, summary, was Re: ssh as 'user'

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Going online as user, summary, was Re: ssh as 'user'
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 21:30:23 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Opera won't even start. The others ignore .lynxrc
and links.cfg (don't read or write).

Steven, do these work properly for you in BL3 as 'user'?

I don't know. I have never used BL3 as user.
BL3 was not designed for a user account and I
do not recommend it for that purpose. If you
want to run a user account, I recommend you use
BL2 or BL1.

I am using BL2 as user but BL3 is smaller and I have been putting it onto other people's computers, and in loop files on my own laptops, just for online use. One laptop with Win98 won't work in Windows with a hardware modem that works in linux on that computer, but Windows works with a linksys wireless card there that won't work with 2.2.26 kernel. I don't want to risk breaking Windows by shrinking it to make ext2 space.

The passwd.tgz package worked okay but a lot of the /dev files needed to be made o+rw, ppp-on and ppp-off were not on the path, etc.

So far friends are running BL3 as root and have not broken it.

Karolis will figure this out after recompiling uclibc (2.2.26 - I will check the resulting gzip with 2.2.16). I asked him to compile dropbear small ssh program with uclibc.