baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 to Glibc2 4C

  • From: lforrestster AT gmail.com
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 to Glibc2 4C
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:29:22 +0000

: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
From: lforrestster AT gmail.com

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 07:56:26PM -0800, David Moberg wrote:
> Lee Forrest wrote:
> >
> > I'm going to start by studying that mklibs.sh script!
> >
> > Thanks for the tip.
> >
> > Bet it needs bash2+ and GNU utils...
>
> It does need bash, and I think it uses some binutils to actually
> handle the libraries. But it is a very impressive script. According to
> the comments, the writer of the script actually considered Perl, but
> found that shell actually worked better for the task.

My feelings about bash (etc.) vs perl-ruby-python can be summed up
thusly:

The Tortoise and the Hare

They try to make scripting easier, and end up making it more complicated.

Even bash 2.* could be built with a lot of features left out. Like readline
and /dev/tcp (netcat works just as well) and the vi commandline option.

vi (not vim) is the only editor I willingly use, but I don't like
its key-bindings on the commandline.

[delete]
> > ldd xinit:
> >
> > libXmuu.so.1 => not found
> > libXext.so.6 => not found
> > libX11.so.6 => not found
> > libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40017000)
> >
> > It won't see them, which is weird. Any idea why?
>
> The BL3 library setup is a little odd. Yes, I think I've seen that
> problem before. Try setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH (environment variable) to
> "/usr/X11R6/lib". A more Slackware-like setup, e.g. BL2 would probably
> work better.

That was a big part of the problem. Apparently, ldconfig is
pretty fussy about which files it recognizes as valid libraries,
and if they are someplace other than /lib/ /usr/lib/, it may
not recognize them unless the directory has been added to that
environment variable.

I chose the indirect way, which was to add /usr/X11R6/lib to
(the otherwise empty) /etc/ld.so.conf.

> > KdAllocateGARTMemory: allocation of 1024 pages failed
> > (Cannot allocate memory)
> > No physical memory available for 4194304 bytes of DCACHE
> >
> > [We've seen those before, haven't we? :-)]
>
> Some mild interaction between the chip and Xi810. Not a show-stopper.

Doesn't seem to affect anything.

> So you have proven that the i810 is usable with BasicLinux. I will
> keep that in mind in case anyone else asks about it. I am guessing
> that you recommend Xi810 over the default Xvesa for this chipset?

No contest.

I'm getting 800x600x32 and could only get 640x480x4 with Xvesa.
It just isn't made for this chipset family. Considering the
number of tinyX servers, it probably doesn't work for other
chipset families either. And vice-versa.

Though it did give a functional xserver that could display low-res
images.

Note that I haven't tried to get higher resolutions because this
one serves my needs. Probably should experiment.

> BL isn't really targetted at this vintage of computers, but
> this information should be useful nonetheless.

There's a whole family of related chipsets that it should work with,
and it's been around since the late 90's...

Thanks again. Do you think it would be difficult to compile swm to work with
glibc-2.3.1? I really like its simplicity and have mastered the use of
Meta-Tab to access the different windows. Would it require this?:

(SW9.0)

PACKAGE NAME: xfree86-devel-4.3.0-i386-1.tgz
PACKAGE LOCATION: ./slackware/x
PACKAGE SIZE (compressed): 4968 K
PACKAGE SIZE (uncompressed): 15750 K
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
xfree86-devel: xfree86-devel (Libraries and other files for X programming)
xfree86-devel:
xfree86-devel: This is a set of include files (found in /usr/X11R6/include),
static
xfree86-devel: libraries (found in /usr/X11R6/lib/*.a) and configuration files
xfree86-devel: (found in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/) needed to compile X
programs
xfree86-devel: under Linux and XFree86.

Would it need the C++ and Objective C support packages for gcc?

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru