baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 to Glibc2

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 to Glibc2
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:56:26 -0800

Lee Forrest wrote:

I'm going to start by studying that mklibs.sh script!

Thanks for the tip.

Bet it needs bash2+ and GNU utils...

It does need bash, and I think it uses some binutils to actually
handle the libraries. But it is a very impressive script. According to
the comments, the writer of the script actually considered Perl, but
found that shell actually worked better for the task.

I have looked over SW7.1 and felt more comfortable with the
libs for 9.0.

I understand. Binaries and mirrors for SW7.1 seem to be getting harder
to find now that Slackware is up to version 11.

> However, the libc5 X client programs will need to be upgraded.

Oh. That would be window manager/exterm/xpdf/xbrowser.

Exactly.

ldd xinit:

libXmuu.so.1 => not found
libXext.so.6 => not found
libX11.so.6 => not found
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40017000)

It won't see them, which is weird. Any idea why?

The BL3 library setup is a little odd. Yes, I think I've seen that
problem before. Try setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH (environment variable) to
"/usr/X11R6/lib". A more Slackware-like setup, e.g. BL2 would probably
work better.

KdAllocateGARTMemory: allocation of 1024 pages failed
(Cannot allocate memory)
No physical memory available for 4194304 bytes of DCACHE

[We've seen those before, haven't we? :-)]

Some mild interaction between the chip and Xi810. Not a show-stopper.

So you have proven that the i810 is usable with BasicLinux. I will
keep that in mind in case anyone else asks about it. I am guessing
that you recommend Xi810 over the default Xvesa for this chipset? BL
isn't really targetted at this vintage of computers, but this
information should be useful nonetheless.

David