baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 to Glibc2

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 to Glibc2
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 13:50:55 -0800

Lee Forrest wrote:
Uclibc isn't stable enough, and my hardware requires a lot of libc6
software, so I decided to give in and 'upgrade' to glibc2,

glibc2 has several nice features, e.g. binary backward compatibility.
However, like most GNU software, it's big. There's a script called
"mklibs.sh" for Debian, which is supposed to let you remove features
from your libc to reduce size if you don't need them. I tried it, but
it doesn't seem to work with glibc. It does make a _very_ small
uclibc, though. I wonder if there is a way to reduce the size of a new
version of glibc. The old glibcs are already smaller but don't always
work as well. :(

but instead of installing it on my present system, I'm rebuilding BL3 around
it.

You may be interested in taking a glance at BL2. It's based on
Slackware 7.1 (glibc 2.1). But it doesn't have the nice small X setup
of BL3, and the busybox is version 0.60.5 so sometimes new scripts
don't work.

Now, slowly but surely, I'm either moving files over from BL3-1 or replacing
them with packages from SW9.0 (the less there requires libncurses so I
decided
to pass). 'file' needs libgcc_s.so.1 and libz.so.1.2.3, so I copied those
over from BL3-1 and it works fine.

I'm well under 5M right now.

Since you are using a 2.4 kernel, you can use a newer glibc if you run
into something that needs it. (Look for the GLIBC_2.3.x unresolved
symbols.)

Next step is Xvesa and friends.

The BL3 Xvesa is static. It should work with any libc. However, the
libc5 X client programs will need to be upgraded. Glibc-based X
applications will sometimes accept the libc5 libX11, but a few will
not, so it's usually smarter to replace the libc5 X infrastructure
with that from SW7.1 or later.

As soon as I've recreated BL3 I'll be installing gcc and building an xserver
for my i810 chip. First try will be the tinyX, and then the regular server
if
that doesn't work. It won't be a full X install, just the server.

There's a glibc-based Xi810 binary over here:
http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/XFree86/kdrive/8.0/
It should work unless your glibc is too old or whoever compiled it
made a mistake.

David