baslinux - Re: [BL] pico as RTF editor

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] pico as RTF editor
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 16:03:09 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:
--------------------------------------
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/rtf.txt
--------------------------------------

You got it! Thanks.

Yes, that appears to be the correct URL. But I still get a 403 error
when I attempt to view it. When you access it with a web browser, does
it work for you?

David

That file and at least two others gave me 403 error until I did a
chmod +r *
on the whole directory. I had copied them from the internet so why would they not be generally readable?

I really need to be translating in linux (with pico/keybindings) or abiword because some idiot has now set the latest scanner software to use 150 dpi and 8-bit color as default and in addition to making 1MB pages instead of 50K (mono at 300 dpi) it does not print out legibly or convert to pbm legibly. (Lots of black dots sprinkled around). So I am stuck translating from the screen, which in DOS would mean using two computers side by side. In linux it could be two windows (with a lot of scrolling) or two workspaces.

I have two monitors but the graphical stuff (zgv or X) disappears from the VGA when I switch to the TTL to type text. And even with splitvt zgv takes over the whole screen instead of its own window.

I need to translate things in columns, which I usually do with tabs (because the MS WP51 filter does not handle column import).
\tab may work. (Is there an HTML tab?).

10 keybindings will be enough for bold on/off, underline on/off, tab, line break, page break, center on/off. I can type in super and subscripts or doublespace, etc.

There are probably also keybindings for non-X terminals.

Abiword fonts are more legible at 1280 full-screen fit-to-page-width (I can deal with the 8-bit color from 2MB video RAM) but on my fastest computer there is still a delay between typing and seeing a word.
And now when I switched VTs Xvesa crashed. At 1024 the fonts are scrawny and hard to read.