baslinux - [BL] pico as RTF editor

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] pico as RTF editor
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 23:05:14 +0000 (UTC)

Leave a space after each of these tags:

{\rtf start rtf file
\ql align left (default)
\qr align right
\qc center
\par new line
\page new page (difficult to do in HTML
\tab tab
\ul underline
\ul0 underline off
\b and \b0 bold on and off
\i and \i0 italic on and off
} end rtf file

The following displayed as expected in Abiword, with default font and font size and colors. If you save it with abiword you get a LOT of junk added (probably all the defaults).

{\rtf
\qc\b\ BIRTH CERTIFICATE \b0\
\ql\ul\ Underlined paragraph which will wrap pico and let's see what Abiword does with it.\ul0\
\i\ Italic line\i0\
\qc\ Another centered line. How do I skip lines or double space? }

{\rtf
\par\ql\ left align
\par\qr\ right align
\par\qc\ center
\par\ql\ left align \ul\ underline \ul0\ non-underlined
\par\b\ bold \b0\ non-bold
\par\i\ italic \i0\ non-italic
}

For more tags see http:\\keesan.freeshell.org\bl.rtf.txt .
Contrary to instructions I did not need to start with
{\rtf1\ansi\fnil\..... just {\rtf and end with }.

This could be sent to anyone using MS WORD, or printed using Abiword.
It is about the same size as HTML and does not require learning CSS for page breaks.

One could also do search and replace instead of typing the tags out.
Other ideas?

You do need Abiword (or Ted) to check for errors, but without viewing it graphically you could still type up formatted text at a shell account.

I find the text in Abiword harder to read than that in a VT. And I don't have to access any menus this way, or remember the control characters for bold. (For some reason I can remember \b and \b0 more easily).