baslinux - [BL] BL3 opera as user 'Preference initialization failure'

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL3 opera as user 'Preference initialization failure'
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:57:45 +0000 (UTC)

I have Opera working as 'user' and printing webpages in BL2.

In BL3 I startx (having given Xvesa and rxvt and ttyp* and ptyp* and /home/user and /dev/null correct permissions) and Opera will not load:

opera: Preference initialization failure. Generic failure.

I copied /root/.opera/* (cp -a) to /home/user/.opera

/home/user/.opera/sessions, skin, toolbar keyboard mail menu and mouse are
drwx------
Should I chmod 777 all of them? 666 (rw not x)?

Do I need to install Opera again as user?

Steven, please explain how you set up Opera to work with user, and add this info to your Installing Opera instructions at the BL3 site so people can go line more securely (and eventually print formattted webpages if they add lpr and printcap and gs).

Abiword loads okay.

If I startx as root then neither program loads. Opera cannot connect to X server and Abiword cannot open display (even after changing xset permissions, which only changes the error message).

I would like opera working in BL3 as user before Thursday (but maybe we can fix someone's XP by replacing a power supply capacitor instead of replacing XP with linux. They have a midget power supply in a half-height case).