baslinux - Re: [BL] Mining the Archive

  • From: Karolis Lyvens <karolisl AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Mining the Archive
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:22:30 +0200

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 04:02:15PM +1030, Greg Mayman wrote:
> I'm online with Arachne at the moment so I can't experiment, but when I
> was last in BL, I tried to do that but "find -name xinitrc" returns
> nothing.
>
> All the stuff i have dug up says to put it in that file, but it doesn't
> seem to exist. Do I need to create a new file with that name?

Files/directories starting with dot are kind-of-hidden in UNIX. Normal
ls won't show them. Try

----
ls -A
----

in order to see files/directories starting with ".", along with any
other files.

If you want to see these files in long format (like in DOS):

----
ls -Al
----

And if you want to see these files whenever you issue "ls":

----
alias ls="ls -A"
----

To make this alias (shorthand/shortcut) permanent, add that alias line
to /etc/profile (which is like autoexec.bat in DOS, meaning that it is
sourced every time a shell starts up).

Karolis