baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 07:22:39 +1300

James Miller wrote:

> I believe a few people (Sindi, Steven?) have upgraded their
> BL 3 libraries by installing libraries from Slackware 8.1

The libraries from Slackware 9.0 are the best for BL3.
Full instructions are at the Bl3 site.

> The upshot of all this is that you likely would not be able
> to run the latest Opera under BL3.

That is correct.

> Almost certainly you'd have to download an older version
> of Opera, and even then you'd likely need to upgrade your
> libraries before it would run.

Opera 8 works with the libraries from Slackware 9.0

> Sindi and/or Steven should be able to provide more detail
> on how to do this and which version of Opera to choose.

Instructions for installing Opera 8 are at the BL3 site.

> Newer versions of Opera require a bit of processing and
> memory umph. I'd say nothing less than about a P2 with
> 64 MB of RAM would be required.

I don't think a P2 is necessary. A 166-MMX with 32mb RAM
(and 64mb swap) is probably sufficient. It won't be lightning
fast, but it should be useable.