baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 16:43:08 +1030

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 15:44:13 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:

>> I used Opera 3.6.2 several years ago on Win311, but i don't remember
>> much about it. But I'm pretty sure it didn't do full email. I had to
>> load Foxmail for that.
> Version 7 does mail, so does 8. They are up to 9 now.

I found the Opera site and I'll download it when I get some time.

Opera 9 for Linux is only about 5.5Mb. That's tiny compared with most
Windoze stuff!!!!

>>> Links2 in graphical mode can be set to display all or no images and I
>>> think to also load one image at a time. It does some javascript.
>> That's one step above Arachne. How is it with secure sites?
> Not so good. Use lynx or opera. I set lynx up with links (graphical and
> text-only) as a downloader to view sites that need tables. Is there a way
> to use lynx as a downloader (external program) in links?
> I set both lynx and links to use mplayer on streaming audio, and zgv as
> viewer (or xli in X). Links is set to use pmail at mailto:, could not
> figure out lynx.

I hear what you say. I know the words, but I have no idea of how to
impliment something like that for myself.

I'm still trying to figure out the basics of BL3. For now I gotta go
_real_ slooooow until I know what I'm doing.

Ron Clarke's 50Mb loop version is giving me some problems which I
have had to refer back to him to sort out. Almost certainly the
stuff in it needs tweaking for my system, but I have no idea
where to start.

>> I don't know webmail. What is it?
> See fastmail.fm No need to download

You mean I gotta do it all ON LINE ?!?!?! *E*G*A*D*!!!!

>> I am used to downloading my incoming mail, reading and answerring it
>> offline, then uploading the outgoing at the next connect.
> POP mail

That's the one!

> Send $1 to sdf.lonestar.org to read mail with mutt or pine and reply
> online

Sheesh! I spend an hour or two each day on my mail. My ISP costs me
AU$1.10 an hour. That would mount up to over $30 a month just for
email! It's not within my income :-(((((

I'll stick to reading and answering offline.

In fact I couldn't have written the message I sent to Ron Clarke
about my problems with his 50MB loop version if I had been doing
it online, as I had to keep going from BL3 to DOS to write up the
notes, then back again to test something else.

Eventually I did wake up to the fact that I could edit the
message from mc which saved a lot of rebooting, but I still would
not have been able to do it with online messaging.

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v