baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 14:26:11 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007, Greg Mayman wrote:

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 15:44:13 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:

I used Opera 3.6.2 several years ago on Win311, but i don't remember
much about it. But I'm pretty sure it didn't do full email. I had to
load Foxmail for that.
Version 7 does mail, so does 8. They are up to 9 now.

I found the Opera site and I'll download it when I get some time.

Opera 9 for Linux is only about 5.5Mb. That's tiny compared with most
Windoze stuff!!!!

Please let me know if Opera 9 works with glibc 2.2.5. The one I downloaded needed 3.2.3. You need to choose carefully.

Links2 in graphical mode can be set to display all or no images and I
think to also load one image at a time. It does some javascript.
That's one step above Arachne. How is it with secure sites?
Not so good. Use lynx or opera. I set lynx up with links (graphical and
text-only) as a downloader to view sites that need tables. Is there a way
to use lynx as a downloader (external program) in links?
I set both lynx and links to use mplayer on streaming audio, and zgv as
viewer (or xli in X). Links is set to use pmail at mailto:, could not
figure out lynx.

I hear what you say. I know the words, but I have no idea of how to
impliment something like that for myself.

I think I posted my lynx.cfg at http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/lynx.cfg and I can post the .linksrc if you want. Edit yours to be similar (or copy over mine).

Sheesh! I spend an hour or two each day on my mail. My ISP costs me
AU$1.10 an hour. That would mount up to over $30 a month just for
email! It's not within my income :-(((((

We in the US pay per month, not per hour.

I'll stick to reading and answering offline.

In fact I couldn't have written the message I sent to Ron Clarke
about my problems with his 50MB loop version if I had been doing
it online, as I had to keep going from BL3 to DOS to write up the
notes, then back again to test something else.

Try DOSEMU. David Moberg compiled it for libc6. You can upgrade to the Slackware 8.1 or 9.0 glibc.so package. Don't you have two computers?

. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia

You can write emails with pmail (using the BL3 default text editor).