baslinux - Re: [BL] base64 (MIME) encoder/decoder

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] base64 (MIME) encoder/decoder
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:09:10 +0000

On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 02:59:11PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

[delete]

> >> Spam is the big problem, not attachments.
> >
> > But having mail apps that process attachments make it easy for
> > spam and trollmail (obscene photos and the like, disguised as
> > something else) and viruses and worms and trojans and spyware and
> > all sorts of cracking strategies to work.
>
> Having computers allows people to send spam.

No. They can't send spam to my boxes. Nor to anyone else
who won't tolerate the garbage.

Because I don't accept huge mails or mails with attachments
or that isn't addressed specifically to me.

Except from specific people on my yes-list.

> People download viruses from websites disguised as screensavers
or music.

That's one way. They often come in mails.

> > Can't have your cake and eat it too.
> >
> > Wanna see a massive reduction in spam? Accept only plain-text
> > mails with no attachments and limited size.
>
> I would be out of business if I did that. And also have to
> whitelist half the friends who email me and have no idea they are
> sending HTML. I spent > several paragraphs explaining to someone
> what HTML was and how my filter was throwing out her emails
> because it had HTML and her response was 'I just write back to
> the address the mail comes from'. I filter on a lot of
> HTML tags such as embedded images and 3D.
>
> I wish mail programs did not use HTML as the default.

Sure glad I don't do business on the internet.

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru