baslinux - Re: [BL] Pmail Basics

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Pmail Basics
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 15:58:23 -0800

On Sun, Dec 24, 2006 at 10:48:50PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Dec 2006, sindi keesan wrote:
>
> >> Look in your muttrc for the line:
> >>
> >> set sendmail="/usr/bin/msmtp"
> > set sendmail="/usr/local/bin/sendmail", I think it was.
> >
> > sendmail is a script invoking pmail -o
>
> Is there some easy way to base64 encode binary attachments and add to the
> _outbox to mail it with pmail, rather than using mutt?

You'd need a script to create the proper header, like:

Then the "boundary headers" (seperating the attachments)

(this one is just below the headers, at the top of the
body)

--------------E625F5AD6F957318951A113A

<plain text document here>

--------------E625F5AD6F957318951A113A

--------------E625F5AD6F957318951A113A--

There are different kinds of headers, depending on the types of
document. Those long character strings that look random, are.
So you'll need to be able to generate random strings, which
shouldn't be a problem. Md5sum run on the file itself would work
fine.

$ md5sum random_file

c9c7409dded45c022a167833ed8663e6 random_file

The script would then need to run the file through mimencode (or
a similar utility) and insert it between the correct boundaries.

It's not something I've done, so I should turn you over to an
expert:

http://www.shelldorado.com/articles/mailattachments.html

Seems like you could probably use a single set of headers with
detail variations, but I don't know for sure. That would make
the script a lot simpler.

> I don't use pop
> mail or the other features that Chris added, just want a simple way to
> send binary attachments (mostly wordprocessor files, but also zip, pdf,
> images). Uuencode is (or at least was not last year) not automatically
> decoded by pine.

I wouldn't use uuencode except to someone you know who uses a
compatible version. There is some variation. And I don't think
windoze weenies or big macs use it.

Mimencode is the way to go for business and the general public.

Lee

--
Basic Linux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru