baslinux - Re: [BL] Pmail Basics

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Pmail Basics
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 22:17:03 -0800

Hi James,

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 11:02:22PM -0600, James Miller wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 05:48:41PM -0800, Lee Forrest wrote:
>
> > Mutt is an MUA. It doesn't send mail to a mailserver or
> > retrieve mail from a popserver.
>
> Mutt, starting from a certain version (by now a fairly old
> version), communicates with pop and imap servers. So it's not
> true that it won't retrieve mail from a popserver--at least if
> we're talking about a version say, 4 years old or less.

That's a patch, and not a very good one. Most mutt users use
fetchmail.

> But it does not do smtp, that's true. I'm using esmtp to
> send mail using Mutt, and msmtp is another option for a
> stripped-down program for sending, as you've mentioned. I don't
> know if esmtp has libc6 dependencies though.

I will certainly look into esmtp. You can use ssmtp, too, which
is tiny, although it doesn't do smtp auth.

> Pine might be a good choice for you, since it can communicate
> with both pop/imap servers as well as smtp servers. I wrote up
> some directions for installing and configuring it under BL2,
> and those could probably be easily adapted to BL3.

If I decide to use it, I'll want those for sure.

> Steven used to have those directions among his FAQ material on
> BL2, but I'm not sure those directions are still available. The
> package(s?) I used came from Slack 7.1, but I'm just sure Pine
> would be in Slack 4.0 as well. Might be worth looking at.

Pine, in SW4.0, is 2830 K, uncompressed. That's monstrous. I do
have a certain attraction to it, because the first book I ever
read about computers (an email book) featured that app. It's also
a creation of the UofW, a school that's local to me.

But does it do smtp auth? Do you know?

> I actually prefer to use Pine, but it was having some trouble
> fetching certain e-mails so I switched to Mutt (on my Ubuntu
> system). A new version of Pine is due out very soon that is
> pretty much a rewrite from the ground up, though it keeps the
> same basic interface. Handles unicode and does other things
> Pine can't. It's called Alpine, is released under the Apache
> license and is still in beta.

First I've heard about it.

Thanks,

Lee