baslinux - Re: [BL] Pmail Basics

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Pmail Basics
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 21:34:37 -0800

On Sun, Dec 24, 2006 at 12:32:48AM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

> >Even gzipped, sylpheed is the better part of a MB.
>
> The mutt binary for BL3 is 353K and there are also some configuration
> files such as .muttrc (16K). Run musetup. Chris's package includes 77K
> catdoc for converting/viewing 'doc' files (WORD) and some config files for
> languages, and a .mailcap specifying zgv as image viewer. Probably about
> 400K including catdoc but not zgv. You can change to xli and use X.
>
> First try a different .pmailrc smtp line if you don't need to do
> attachments.
>
> I made a small change to allow me to type mu to-address.
> mu now reads: mutt -F ~/Mail/.muttrc (I probably added the -F)

I'm using mutt, and it's a great MUA, but what I need I right
now is a way to send mails to the mailserver, and retrieve them.
I think I can use pmail for the latter, but it's pretty obvious
that it doesn't do smtp auth and there's no point in putting my
username and password on that line in the config file:

/<#>pmail -v -o ~/mail/outbox
1 message is ready for sending.
Trying SMTP server [athena.simple.net] ... ok.
<< 220 MESN19901 (IMail 8.22 386160-4) NT-ESMTP Server X1
-> HELO root
<< 250 hello MESN19901
Folder /root/mail/outbox, 1 messages are ready.
sending 1/1, (256 )
-> MAIL FROM:<leeforrest AT simple.net>
<< 250 ok
-> RCPT TO:<someone AT some.where.org>
<< 550 not local host some.where.org, not a gateway
Dec 23 21:04:03 reject all target addresses, abort it.
-> RSET
<< 250 ok its reset
-> QUIT
<< 221 Goodbye
/<#>

If I'd been mailing someone else with an account on that
mailserver, it would have gone through.

See the above? That's exactly the same mail I tried to
send yesterday, using the same commandline options (except
for the "-v") and it failed every time with this message:

Warning: No postpone message folder specied.

It didn't even get as far as trying to connect to the server.

That indicates a low-level bug in the code.

Lee

--
Basic Linux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru