baslinux - [BL] Wireless pcmcia, was Re: Development Tools for BL (4)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Wireless pcmcia, was Re: Development Tools for BL (4)
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 19:03:36 +0000 (UTC)

Linksys WPC11 ver 3.

When used with the wrong kernel (2.2.16, for which I did not have modules) it gave 'unsupported card'. With the 2.2.26 pentium or generic kernels it gives a segmentation fault instead. I will try the 'big' kernel next.

device "orinoco_cs"
class "network" module "hermes", "orinoco", "orinoco_cs"

card "Linksys WPC11 ver 3"
manfid 0x0274, 0x1613
bind "orinoco_cs"

module "orinoco_cs" opts "port_type=1 channel=1 station_name=MY_PC"

The laptop might work better near a window at the front of the
house instead of on the kitchen table. My neighbor identified
the source of the 13% signal.

Going to use someone else's connection without them knowing
about it? Or will they and you just think they don't? 8-))

I was going to use a neighbor's offered connection but he never set up wireless and probably never will.

So I am testing the software and hardware. This morning I got the laptop to install the ver 3 WPC11 driver by removing pieces of ver 4 by hand (all over the place, including something in Registry that you remove by adding and removing ndis2 driver and about 10MB in My Documents), removing Linksys and network drivers from System, and uninstalling and reinstalling the ver 3 driver a few times and rebooting (and it crashed during reboot). Windows is awful but eventually a red square appeared in lower right (on the desktop last night it would blink green occasionally) and the utility said I had no signal of any sort. So nobody is sending one this morning or the computer itself is bad or that card is bad (I should try switching the two). But the computer would not pick up signals with a known good ver 4 card at the library or a friend's house.

I spent at least 5 hours on this one card with Win98 and a driver CD!
Lots less than that with linux despite needing to look up and download drivers (not that it works yet).

In 2007 or 2008 the county will be providing free (76K/sec)
broadband, for all those people who can't afford cell phones
and also land phones for dialup.

What county is that?

Washtenaw, SE Michigan. Rich university town.

Lee