baslinux - Re: [BL] Development Tools for BL (5)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Development Tools for BL (5)
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 02:38:25 +0000 (UTC)

and deleted every dir except i386?

rm -r a*
rm -r m*
rm -r p*
rm -r s*
and whatever else is not i386

To do this using the up arrow to repeat previous lines and changing one letter took me 8 keystrokes, plus up arrow left arrow backspace character (three times) = 14 characters, plus a few more for the last few directories, maybe 20 characters. It was probably quicker than typing out your very elegant instructions to delete all but the i386 directory.

Excellent.

../arch# find . -type d ! -name "i386" -exec rm -r {} \;

about 56 characters

In the current directory tree (.), find every subdirectory that
isn't (!) named "i386" and delete it and all of its contents.

[delete]

There is one large directory I deleted. Anything ending in .a or .la
(using for static compilation). (Also .pa?).

I only found two files ending in .a in all of my 2.4.19 sources,
and none with .la or .pa. But I guess that's not surprising.
Everything's dynamically linked on my debian.

Slackware packages contain or produce a lot of .a and .la files, which are big.

I also deleted a lot of what came with glibc2 and was related to
other languages.
That surprises me, considering what you do.

I work in English and EST.

Estonian?

Eastern Standard Time. There is one directory full of time zones.

I left vt100 and 200 and 300 and linux and
deleted most of the rest from BL2 (based on Steven's setup in
BL3) - I forget which directories.

I have to get the source for that kernel. It is _way_ different
than debian's 2.4.19.

That came from glibc not kernel source. usr/share/zoneinfo...
ncurses produced /usr/share/terminfo/.... (/n/ncr260vt100wpp....)

I don't even use half the devs that Steven provided

There are always way more /dev file than you need. They're
not very big so I haven't worried about them much. But still...

I don't even know what some of them are - vcsa7, eda9, ptypf, pcd2, inportbm, sonycd, pf3, etc. I made ttyUSB0 and 1, mixer1, dsp0, fd1d360, pda and a few others.

I could probably remove lots more if I knew what is was.

Take your own advice and rename and give it a try?

(with rescue disk handy)

Or rename it all *.bak. Or read about it somewhere.