baslinux - Re: [BL] Development Tools for BL (5)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Development Tools for BL (5)
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 14:56:19 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006, Lee Forrest wrote:

On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 05:29:18AM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
The compiler packages will fit into 20 mb. Sourcecode
packages can take a lot of space (kernels and X are
probably the worst), but you can always delete the
sourcecode after you have compiled.

I deleted from kernel source code anything not i386, which saves some
space. I bet you can delete the documentation. Experiment until you
break it.

You mean you went to this dir:

.../2.4.19/arch

Yes except it was 2.2.16 and 2.4.31

$ ls
total 17K
1.0K alpha/ 1.0K i386/ 2.0K mips/
1.0K arm/ 1.0K ia64/ 1.0K mips64/
1.0K cris/ 1.0K m68k/ 1.0K parisc/

1.0K ppc/ 1.0K s390x/ 1.0K sparc64/
1.0K ppc64/ 1.0K sh/
1.0K s390/ 1.0K sparc/

and deleted every dir except i386?

rm -r a*
rm -r m*
rm -r p*
rm -r s*
and whatever else is not i386

That would remove about 28MB!

I tried also deleting other things such as joysticks and older CD-ROM drives, but I think 'make dep' complained. Experiment with renaming other things until you break it then put them back.

Any guidelines handy? List of all the dirs you deleted?
The above is all I recall that worked.

I'll make a webpage out of it for your site, if you do.

:-)

I also deleted a lot of what came with glibc2 and was related to
other languages.

There is one large directory I deleted. Anything ending in .a or .la (using for static compilation). (Also .pa?). Most programs only need libc and sometimes libm and ldlinux. You can just unpackage glibc and add files as you need them, and symlinks. I think that is how Steven put together BL3. Ditto for adding X, which fits into 1MB for BL2 instead of 10MB (and you can add back xkbd etc. later as desired).

That surprises me, considering what you do.

I work in English and EST. I deleted a lot of time zone stuff too. And anything in locales. I added the kbd package but only need a few Cyrillic fonts and E. Europe, not the other 99%. I don't read Chinese. I type only in English so deleted the keyboard part and just left the terminal part. I left vt100 and 200 and 300 and linux and deleted most of the rest from BL2 (based on Steven's setup in BL3) - I forget which directories.

I don't even use half the devs that Steven provided (but I think I added hde for something - laptop pcmcia-cf adaptor?, and I added 360K floppy, and devices needed for usb and pda and ltmodem). Kernel 2.4.31 tells you what to add and how.

I have the space but I don't like a disk full of things I don't use and don't understand. I could probably remove lots more if I knew what is was. I no longer add packages, just pieces, such as ipchains instead of tcpip2. ldd the binaries and add any required libraries.

Steven provided a package of possibly useful X libraries to add to BL3. I have not needed all of them. Ldd did not reveal that Opera needed libdns to actually work online. So does lynx. (Not links?).

For myself, I plan on deleting anything to do with locales and
unicode, other character sets, etc... Us-ascii is all I need. I
don't read or write any other languages and don't plan to and
there's no point in anyone mailing me in any other language.

It can be nice to see French with diacritics instead of the wrong character.

Art Bell is on now. I'm off to the O-Zone :-)

Lee