baslinux - Re: [BL] Development Tools for BL (5)

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Development Tools for BL (5)
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 23:30:32 -0800

On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 05:29:18AM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> > The compiler packages will fit into 20 mb. Sourcecode
> > packages can take a lot of space (kernels and X are
> > probably the worst), but you can always delete the
> > sourcecode after you have compiled.
>
> I deleted from kernel source code anything not i386, which saves some
> space. I bet you can delete the documentation. Experiment until you
> break it.

You mean you went to this dir:

.../2.4.19/arch

$ ls
total 17K
1.0K alpha/ 1.0K i386/ 2.0K mips/
1.0K arm/ 1.0K ia64/ 1.0K mips64/
1.0K cris/ 1.0K m68k/ 1.0K parisc/

1.0K ppc/ 1.0K s390x/ 1.0K sparc64/
1.0K ppc64/ 1.0K sh/
1.0K s390/ 1.0K sparc/

and deleted every dir except i386?

That would remove about 28MB!

Any guidelines handy? List of all the dirs you deleted?

I'll make a webpage out of it for your site, if you do.

:-)

> I also deleted a lot of what came with glibc2 and was related to
> other languages.

That surprises me, considering what you do.

For myself, I plan on deleting anything to do with locales and
unicode, other character sets, etc... Us-ascii is all I need. I
don't read or write any other languages and don't plan to and
there's no point in anyone mailing me in any other language.

Art Bell is on now. I'm off to the O-Zone :-)

Lee