baslinux - Re: [BL] Development Tools for BL (4)

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Development Tools for BL (4)
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 20:29:09 -0800

On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 07:05:59PM -0800, David Moberg wrote:
> Lee Forrest wrote:
> >
> ><quote>
> >Adding a C compiler to BasicLinux This requires a minimum of five
> >packages (which fill 120mb of HD space). Most of this space is
> >filled by the glibc2 library, which is much larger than the old
> >libc5 library (used in BasicLinux 1.8).
>
> BL3 also uses libc5.
>
> >installpkg binutils.tgz ## d1
> >installpkg egcs.tgz ## d1
>
> egcs == Experimental GNU Compiler...?

Don't know. I missed references to it the first time
I searched the archives because I'd never heard of
anything but gcc.

Searched the string "egcs" in my debian packages list (all
possible packages)and found references to it being supplanted by
gcc. But it wasn't there as a package, so you are probably right.

> >installpkg glibc.tgz ## d1
>
> libc5 takes up much less space.

Slack 4.0 libc.tgz:

Includes the 5.4.46 Linux C libraries, libcurses 1.0.0, GNU
libgdbm 1.7.3, libtermcap 2.0.8, and BSD db 1.85.4.

> >installpkg gmake.tgzd1 ## d1
> >installpkg linuxinc.tgz ## d1
>
> The lx2216.tgz or similar kernel package (below) contains the same
> headers as linuxinc, but in source format.

Ahhh. That's important. Are they object files in linuxinc?

(I keep reading that as "Linux Inc(orporated), which just
doesn't feel right :-)

> >To compile a Linux kernel, two further packages are required
> >(which fill an additional 74mb of HD space). The first is the
> >kernel source and the second is an assember to make the boot
> >sector.
> >
> >installpkg lx2216.tgz ## k1
> >installpkg bin86.tgz ## d1
> >
> ></quote>
> >
> >So. If that's the minimum libraries needed to compile apps and
> >the kernel, then that's the minimum libraries needed to make BL
> >fully functional, right?
>
> Sure, if by "fully functional" you mean having everything necessary to
> compile a new kernel image.

I do. Pretty basic, don't you think? Need to keep whittling away
at it, if nothing else. Or adding something to accomodate a 'new'
piece of hardware or application that needs kernel support.

I'm going to have to rebuild the kernel to include a new serial
driver to get my *#@!&^% serial card to work, it seems.

Kernel modules are great, but I think that takes some more
software.

You can store the sources as a tarball when you aren't using them,
on tape or CD if necessary.

> (BTW, the lx2216.tgz package is for kernel
> 2.2.16. If you are using BL3.40 and want to rebuild its kernel, you
> will want the linux-2.2.26.tar.gz or bz2 package from www.kernel.org
> instead.)

Okay. It's also on the 4.0 mirrors.

PACKAGE NAME: lx226.tgz

That stock kernel is one of the best things about slackware.

> >Can any of that be discarded? Do you need all the binutils,
> >for example?
>
> Most source packages require as, ld, ar, and ranlib. Several also use
> nm (for examining binaries) and strip (to remove debugging symbols). I
> think the rest are useful if you are writing source code but not if
> you just compile and run source packages.

My C cucks, but I'm working on it.

Lot of great apps out there I'd love to trim and tweak.

> There is a basic ar included with BL3, but it does not work for
> compiling. I think it is mainly used to unpack debian archives.

That's what apt uses, all right. Why they don't use tar I can't
imagine.

> >All of glibc2?
>
> If you are compiling for BL3 or BL1, you can just use the libc5 devel
> library package. It is much smaller than glibc. The only problem is
> that it lacks functions that a few modern source packages require (at
> least, without some modification to libc5 or the new package). If you
> avoid large, complex apps it should work well. Kernel compiling is
> independent of libc version (but heavily dependent on gcc).

Or its precursor, egcs.

> (Do you still want me to reply to both the list and your gmail address?)

Just the list will be fine, now. Thanks for the consideration, David,

Lee