baslinux - Re: [BL] Development Tools for BL (5)

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Development Tools for BL (5)
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 17:23:07 -0800

[Steven wrote:]
> >>I deleted from kernel source code anything not i386, which saves some
> >>space. I bet you can delete the documentation. Experiment until you
> >>break it.
> >
> >You mean you went to this dir:
> >
> >.../2.4.19/arch
>
> Yes except it was 2.2.16 and 2.4.31
[delete]
> >and deleted every dir except i386?
>
> rm -r a*
> rm -r m*
> rm -r p*
> rm -r s*
> and whatever else is not i386

Excellent.

../arch# find . -type d ! -name "i386" -exec rm -r {} \;

In the current directory tree (.), find every subdirectory that
isn't (!) named "i386" and delete it and all of its contents.
Not regexes there, but shell wildcards.

> >That would remove about 28MB!
>
> I tried also deleting other things such as joysticks and older CD-ROM
> drives, but I think 'make dep' complained. Experiment with renaming other
> things until you break it then put them back.

Yeh. Cover your butt.

[delete]

> There is one large directory I deleted. Anything ending in .a or .la
> (using for static compilation). (Also .pa?).

I only found two files ending in .a in all of my 2.4.19 sources,
and none with .la or .pa. But I guess that's not surprising.
Everything's dynamically linked on my debian.

> Most programs only need libc and sometimes libm and ldlinux.
> You can just unpackage glibc and add files as you need them,
> and symlinks. I think that is how Steven put together BL3.
> Ditto for adding X, which fits into 1MB for BL2 instead of 10MB
> (and you can add back xkbd etc. later as desired).

Okay. Cherry picking. That makes sense. This is fun.

> >>I also deleted a lot of what came with glibc2 and was related to
> >>other languages.
> >That surprises me, considering what you do.
>
> I work in English and EST.

Estonian?

> I deleted a lot of time zone stuff too. And anything in
> locales. I added the kbd package but only need a few Cyrillic
> fonts and E. Europe, not the other 99%. I don't read Chinese.

>I type only in English so deleted the keyboard part and just
>left the terminal part.

Didn't realize you could do that.

> I left vt100 and 200 and 300 and linux and
> deleted most of the rest from BL2 (based on Steven's setup in
> BL3) - I forget which directories.

I have to get the source for that kernel. It is _way_ different
than debian's 2.4.19.

> I don't even use half the devs that Steven provided

There are always way more /dev file than you need. They're
not very big so I haven't worried about them much. But still...

[delete]

> I have the space but I don't like a disk full of things I don't
> use and don't understand.

Yes!

> I could probably remove lots more if I knew what is was.

Take your own advice and rename and give it a try?

(with rescue disk handy)

Speaking of rescue disks, _there's_ a good example of how
to trim libraries...

[delete]

Lee