baslinux - Re: [BL] pilot-link problems

  • From: John Beck <john AT johnbeck.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] pilot-link problems
  • Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 13:25:47 -0400

sindi keesan wrote:
1. I followed instructions to ./configure (no switches, default locations of /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib), make, test in the build directory (it all seemed to work there) and make install.

If I run pilot-xfer or other programs from /src/ they work, but it turns out they are 4k temporary wrapper scripts that indicate where the libraries are, probably for use in testing only. (Like the opera scripts that let you run opera without actually installing it.)

You're saying that if you run the pilot-xfer from /src they work with the usb pda? Can you send me the url to the software you're having trouble with? I want to look at it. No promises though ;-)

If I run the programs from /usr/local/bin or from /src/.libs :
pilot-xfer: error while loading shared libraries: libpiscok.so.9: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Web research gave a lot of hits which I did not understand but I think I need to recompile to point at where the libraries are actually installed.

The library and libpsync.so.0 are in /usr/local/lib but the program is not looking there. Did I need to specify that location in ./configure though it is the default? If so, how?

I did make install as su - root or as root.

To use the software with PDA plugged into USB port.

2. mknod /dev/ttyUSBS1

3. insmod usbcore
insmod uhci
insmod usbserial (using David's 2.4.31 kernel, mine does not have it)
insmod visor

(For 3Com Palm III Visor and related PDA)

I get two error messages when I insmod usbserial:
insmod: unresolved symbol tty_ldisc_ref
tty_ldisc_deref

Web research revealed that these are bugs in 2.4.30 kernel when using the modules, but someone was able to compile with y instead of m and it worked. So I need to recompile with usbcore, uhci and usbserial ALL set to y instead of m.

(I had to compile for my scsi controller with y instead of m, because the module was simply not made with m).

I downloaded the modules for 2.2.26 and booted to BL2 with the 'big' kernel. They all insmod perfectly: visor.o -- USB Serial support registered for Palm M500 M505 M125 Sony Clier..... So 2.2.26 appears to support usbserial devices.

Turned on the PDA: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor convertor now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/1 for devfs) and also to ttyUSB1 so I made both of them (c 188 0 and c 188 1).

It disconnected from both ports right away. There was some error message on the PDA too.

dmesg says USB0 is for generic and USB1 for hotsync use. I tried both.

Plug it in, turn it on:

pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB0 -l

-p is the port
-l is list

Unable to bind to port: /dev/ttyUSB0 (or USB1).

I also tried instead of -p a symlink to /dev/pilot from /dev/ttyUSB0. I am supposed to see a prompt to turn on the hotsync button.

It was given to us 'working with Win98' but I have not tested it there.

Please help.

We also have a serial model but it does not light up any more, might need stronger batteries and the cradle is unpowered.