baslinux - Re: [BL] pilot-link problems

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] pilot-link problems
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 02:30:03 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, John Beck wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:
1. I followed instructions to ./configure (no switches, default locations
of /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib), make, test in the build directory
(it all seemed to work there) and make install.

If I run pilot-xfer or other programs from /src/ they work, but it turns
out they are 4k temporary wrapper scripts that indicate where the
libraries are, probably for use in testing only. (Like the opera scripts
that let you run opera without actually installing it.)

These scripts only work after you install the files (or at least the libraries to /usr/local/bin).

If I move libpisock.so.9 from /usr/local/lib (where the install program put it by default) to /usr/lib, the programs all work from /usr/local/bin, on a serial PDA, with kernel 2.4.31. I can't test 2.4.31 with USB until I compile a USB built-in kernel (usbcore, uhci, usb_serial then visor), because the kernel is buggy and usb_serial.o will not insmod.

The standard 2.2.26 kernel does not have support for usb_serial as module but it appeared to insert anyway along with visor (the module needed for USB PDA connections). It does support usbcore and uhci.
Unable to bind to port.

STEVEN:
I don't see USB anywhere in the 'big' kernel config, but I did find usb_serial.o and visor.o in Steven's module collection. Does the 'big' kernel support inserting modules that were compiled and posted by Steven?
I will try this one next.

To use it in serial mode simply plug in (as /dev/ttyS1) and turn on the PDA (and hit the hotsync button, at least on my model).

pilot-xfer -l -p /dev/ttyS1 - lists all the files on the PDA
pilot-file gets a database file
pilot-addresses gets an address file
pilot-schlep puts a file on the PDA
pilot-xfer -b /tmp puts a copy of everthing on the PDA in /tmp

There are lots more programs that do other things. Hopefully you can type up address lists and databases in the proper format on the desktop then transfer to the PDA. I have not used a PDA before.

I included the relevant man pages in each package. The bigger package has some gif and xbm files (for use in KDE or GNOME? - let me know and I will remove them).

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/pilot-link-basic-glibc-2.2.5.tgz 1 MB
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/pilot-link-full-glibc-2.2.5.tgz 1.6 MB

Someone else with a serial PDA please test.

There is a README.usb-pilot-link file telling you how to make the USB devices and insert the modules.